Are you a horticulturalist who is excited by being a key part of a reputable and growing company? Are you looking for an opportunity to closely partner with the owners/operators of an extremely stable yet vivacious company? Does growing ornamental crops of stellar plant quality excite you?
If so, Shelmerdine Garden Center has a home for you. As a highly reputable and positive-cultured business, we’re seeking a motivated and experienced Commercial Greenhouse Grower/Manager.
WHATS IN IT FOR YOU?
· Importance of corporate culture – our motto is Work Hard and Be Nice!
· Abnormally highly engaged team
· Strong total compensation plan
· Established, but also growing company
Shelmerdine exists to create a positive difference in people’s lives.
Shelmerdine Garden Center is widely regarded as the most reputable retail garden center in Winnipeg, and as a leading garden center in Canada. Established in 1937, Shelmerdine is comprised of 7 retail departments, each separately managed. We are lovingly referred to as ‘my happy place’ by our clientele. Shelmerdine employs a team of 50 – 100 individuals with seasonal variation.
We are located in beautiful Headingley!
Check us out at https://www.shelmerdine.com/
Also – our customers also LOVE us: Check out our (524!) Google Reviews
You are looking to be a full-time, long term management team member. You are very detailed oriented and thrive on leading an organized and positive team. You understand the unique dynamics that come with growing seasonal ornamental plants on a medium to large scale.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the Commercial Greenhouse Manager is a full-time year-round position with the exception of some mandatory time off in the month of January. The role of this manager is to work in union with the Assistant to Commercial Grower to maintain the effectiveness and efficiency of its staff of between 3 – 15 personnel in its daily operations towards upholding the Shelmerdine standard of cleanliness, organization, and production of the highest quality plant material. The job is that of a floor manager which is physically requiring. Very little clerical and desk work is needed however some is required.
2. Crops (Hanging Basket, Annuals, Patio Tropical plants, Chrysanthemums, and Poinsettias)
3. Integrated Pest Management
4. Building and Facility Maintenance
6. Greenhouse appearance
7. Leading Staff
8. Maintaining a positive staff morale
9. Hiring and Training
10. Attending Management Meetings
11. Climate Control
1. 5 + years of growing experience
2. 3+ years of Greenhouse Manager experience
3. Post Secondary education in horticulture / plant science preferred
4. You have an Applicators Licence
· People skills with the ability to communicate strongly in English
· Must have a high degree of literacy in a Windows environment
· Advanced troubleshooting and multitasking skills
TYPE OF PERSON WHO WILL SUCCEED IN THIS ROLE
· Detail Oriented – you spot the smallest details, but also see the big picture
· Positive and Outgoing – you interact in a socially engaging manner
· Sense of Urgency – can act or delegate quickly and efficiently
· Confident – willing to share opinions but accept decisions
· Observant – you constantly look for inefficiencies and ways to solve them
The Successful candidate will form a key role amongst the organization’s leadership team, and will help to steer its future achievements.
We offer opportunities to learn new things and expand your skills, along with a competitive salary and group benefits package.
If you think this position may have potential for you and you are hard working, dedicated, outgoing, customer focused, detail oriented, committed – then send us your resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please (briefly) outline the following 3 items:
1) Relevant qualifications and work experience
2) A few words on why you feel you are a good match for this role
3) Your availability to start – and your expected remuneration
* if you do not provide a cover letter – your resume will likely NOT be read
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in us and we believe strongly in diversity.
By applying you confirm that you are eligible to work in Canada.
Job Type: Full-time
Growing: 5 years (Preferred)
Greenhouse Manager : 3 years (Preferred)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)
Licence: Applicators (Preferred)
Apply now: Please see our ad on Indeed: https://ca.indeed.com/job/commercial-greenhouse-growermanager-07a5f13dff717d3a