Jeffries Nurseries is a family owned wholesale greenhouse and plant nursery located in central Manitoba
near Portage la Prairie. We supply trees, shrubs, evergreens, perennials and annuals to retailers, garden centres and landscapers across Canada and into the United States. With over 38 years of dedication and experience, we strive to create and grow high quality, hardy plants for the northern plains and prairies using innovative methods and techniques. We seek to offer interesting and challenging work experience in a very specialized agricultural business.
We are currently looking for an assistant grower to join our team. This is a full time, year round position. Reporting to the Container Manager, this individual will assist with the growing and care of all nursery crops, producing high quality plants. We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, results-driven and willing to take on responsibility.
Responsibility & Duties
• Manage production activities, including overseeing and coordinating the daily activities of the production team assigned to you.
• Ensure tasks are assigned efficiently, productivity objectives are met, and safety standards are maintained.
• Must continue to learn and improve procedures in growing, cultural practices, pest knowledge, plant knowledge and general growing techniques.
• Maintain a hands-on approach, leading by example.
• Flexible to multitask in various nursery operations during busy and slower seasons.
• Able to adjust to changing seasonal work and weather conditions as experienced in combined indoor and outdoor workplaces.
• May at times be required to work past scheduled hours.
Job Skills & Requirements
• Excellent ability to understand and follow both verbal and written instruction.
• Possess excellent supervisory skills and be able to work, with their group, efficiently in the absence of other managers.
• Ability to analyze and critique processes and pursue continuous improvement and efficiency.
• Possess strong communications skills – ability to transmit clear instruction, both verbally and written to employees.
• Promote a positive, safe, professional and productive work environment.
• Must be familiar and able to learn to effectively use forklifts, compact loaders and ATV machines.
• Must be team and goal oriented
• Must have strong communication skills, strong organization skills accompanied with attention to detail.
• Must be willing to acquire a certified pesticide applicators license within one year of hire date.
• Work in occasional adverse weather conditions and be physically able to meet demands such as standing for long periods of time, heavy lifting and repetitive work activities.
• Fluent in spoken and written English, Spanish is an asset.
• A competitive salary based on qualifications and experience
• A company benefit package including extended health and dental coverage
• A company profit share program
Please send your resume to email@example.com or to PO Box 402, Portage la Prairie, MB R1N 3B7 attention Shawna Bell. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.